Gentessential’s Guide to First Footing Etiquette
Once the bells have rung in the New Year Scottish Hogmanay tradition dictates that people go out to visit friends and family bearing the folllowing items:
1. A bottle of spirit to toast in the New Year.
2. A lump of coal to symbolise warmth.
3. A black bun or shortbread to symbolise food.
4. A silver coin to symbolise wealth and prosperity.
5. A piece of wood to represent shelter.
Should you find yourself staying in this New Years, then do miss out from the good fortune this tradition may bring, exit by the back door with your five items and enter the front door so that you too can benefit from this first footing tradition.